My fam damily

My fam damily

Monday, December 16, 2013

Herb roasted turkey

This was my first turkey EVER!  I was so nervous but it turned out perfect, so moist & not dry at all!  It had wonderful flavor too :)  I will definitely make this again!

12 lb whole turkey (Mine was 20 I just had to cook a little longer)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups chicken broth or stock

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven  to 325 degrees.  Clean turkey (discard giblets and organs), and place in roasting pan with a lid.  (I did mine in a roaster)

2.  In a small bowl, combine olive oil, melted butter, and seasonings.  Using a basting brush, apply the mixture to the outside of the uncooked turkey.  Poor chicken broth in the bottom of the roasting pan and cover.  (I also injected mine with the mixture)

3.  Bake for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or until the internal temp of the thickest part of the thigh measures 180 degrees F.  Remove bird from oven and allow to stand for about 30 minutes before carving.  (Since I had an extra 8 lbs on my turkey, I cooked an extra hour and just kept checking the temp til it hit 180)

I found the original recipe on allrecipes.com but after reading reviews, changed it a little to my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment